The Network Architect is responsible for the strategic design and documentation of enterprise-level business solutions for networking and telecommunications, and is responsible for ensuring that plans, projects, and changes to enterprise network infrastructure conform to approved EMHS strategic plans and roadmaps. The Network Architect contributes detailed technical solutions for enterprise networking and telecommunications to the overall architectural landscape. This role will help define key reference architectures, transition and future-state architectures, and develop technical playbooks to provide guidance to infrastructure teams.
· Evaluates technologies for conformance to system and organizational IT strategy. Analyzes technology issues and opportunities, and proposes short-, mid-, and long-term solutions. Analyzes requirements and use cases to determine approach, implementation, and ongoing maintenance strategies. Assists in ROI and cost-benefit analysis on IT solutions, architectures, and projects. Reviews proposed solutions from IS, business, and clinical groups upon request.
· Provides excellent customer service to all levels of employees including customers, peers, and leadership. Participates and engages in team meetings, team building activities, and other opportunities to strengthen the department. Leads by example. Acts as backup for certain departmental leadership functions. As assigned by leadership, may direct other staff in the coordination of projects
· Communicates in a professional, positive and timely manner in person, on the phone, and via electronic means. Represents the department and company in a positive and professional manner. Participates in the evaluation and estimation of routine work requests, and major and minor projects. May participate in the orientation and mentoring of junior team members
· Adheres to all EMHS and departmental policies and procedures. Creates, follows, maintains, and updates as necessary documentation and checklists to ensure efficiency and consistency. Assists operations staff and leads ad hoc teams to use advanced troubleshooting methodologies that provide efficient, effective resolution, and minimize impact to the customer. Maintains detailed and accurate records in workload management, asset management and administrative applications. Adheres to deadlines.
· Actively maintains education and cross-training on all departmental areas of expertise. Maintains required certifications and attends training when available and appropriate. Leads complex inter- and intra-departmental committees and groups. Represents the team on complex projects.
· Assists management in identifying opportunities for process improvement within and without the department. Assists customers with understanding total cost of ownership issues related to network and telecomm systems.
· Works conscientiously to minimize cost and time requirements in all areas of departmental responsibility.
· Acts as liaison for affiliates and external organizations with which we maintain a relationship.
• Bachelor Degree and 10+ years of progressive experience in networking, including 3+ years as a system-level network engineer or network architect are required. In lieu of degree, an equivalent of 4 additional years' experience (14+ years total) in networking, including 3+ years as a system-level network engineer or network architect is required.
• CCNA certification required.
• Ability to obtain CCDA within six months.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to bring innovation to forecasting long-term solutions, beyond current issues.
• Ability to assess and understand the impact of technical decisions, and architectural changes.
• Ability to abstract key information to empower good decision making by both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Ability to convey complex technical concepts in lay terms.
• Ability to think, plan, and act at the enterprise level, without being constrained by a short-term, localized point of view.
• Ability to develop plans for implementation of large and complex projects.
• Ability to communicate with, teach, collaborate with, and train others, including system administrators, information security analysts, and technical support staff, on technical decisions, implementations, projects, and roadmaps.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a professional business manner and ability to interact with varied audiences.
• Proficient in design, setup and configuration of network router/switch and converged voice technologies from an engineering perspective. LAN protocols to include VLAN, STP, QoS, etc. Experience with IP addressing, including IPv4, IPv6, subnets, and super nets.
• Proficient with network and telecommunications transport technology, including SIP, MPLS, ATM, ELAN, PRI, T-1, etc., network routing protocols, including OSPF, EIRGP, BGP, HSRP etc., and network tunneling protocols at a high level, including IPsec, IPsec over GRE, etc.
• Proficient in design, setup and configuration of wireless networking using Cisco and Aruba devices that supports open or secured access and the ability to support voice and video applications.
• Proficient in the setup and support of VoIP phone systems.
• Proficient in configuration and setup of multi-vendor firewalls and security appliances for access to vital business applications, site-to-site and client VPN connections.
• Experience using network performance tools for monitoring performance and troubleshooting network problems and outages
• Proficient in Datacenter design and implementation
• Works in a normal office environment, requiring the ability to frequently respond to unpredictable situations.
• Works in wiring closets and utility spaces that may be warmer and/or have a higher ambient noise level than other areas, but not at such a level as to require protective clothing or equipment.
• Must be able to work and think independently.
• Occasional long and irregular hours
• Must be willing to travel by air and ground.
• Tolerance for frequent interruptions.
• Must be able to speak and communicate clearly and effectively.
• Must be able to hear speech.
• Must be able to adapt to frequently changing work priorities.
• Must be able to travel to various EMHS sites.
• Participate in periodic on-call rotation.
• This position may be eligible for situational offsite work.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.