The Platform Architect is responsible for the strategic design and documentation of enterprise-level business solutions for the server and end user Operating System and hardware environment, and is responsible for ensuring plans, projects, and changes to enterprise Operating Systems, applications within the I&O service portfolio, and infrastructure conform to approved EMHS strategic plans and roadmaps. The Platform Architect contributes detailed technical solutions for enterprise Operating Systems, end-user devices and server applications used to manage them, and to the overall architectural landscape. This role will help define key reference architectures, transition and future-state architectures, and develop technical playbooks to provide guidance to infrastructure teams.
Job Functions and Duties:
Provides excellent customer service to all levels of employees including customers, peers, and leadership. Participates and engages in team meetings, team building activities, and other opportunities to strengthen the department. Leads by example. Acts as backup for certain departmental leadership functions. As assigned by leadership, may direct other staff in the coordination of projects
Communicates in a professional, positive and timely manner in person, on the phone, and via electronic means. Represents the department and company in a positive and professional manner. Participates in the evaluation and estimation of routine work requests, and major and minor projects. May participate in the orientation and mentoring of junior team members.
Adheres to all EMHS and departmental policies and procedures. Creates, follows, maintains, and updates as necessary documentation and checklists to ensure efficiency and consistency. Assists operations staff and leads ad hoc teams to use advanced troubleshooting methodologies that provide efficient, effective resolution, and minimize impact to the customer. Maintains detailed and accurate records in workload management, asset management and administrative applications. Adheres to deadlines.
Actively maintains education and cross-training on all departmental areas of expertise. Maintains required certifications and attends training when available and appropriate. Leads complex inter- and intra-departmental committees and groups. Represents the team on complex projects.
Assists management in identifying opportunities for process improvement within and without the department. Assists customers with understanding total cost of ownership issues related to Platform and telecomm systems.
Works conscientiously to minimize cost and time requirements in all areas of departmental responsibility.
Acts as liaison for affiliates and external organizations with which we maintain a relationship.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor Degree and 10+ years of experience as a System Administrator, Desktop Engineer or Platform/Desktop Architect are required. In lieu of degree, an equivalent of 4 additional years' experience (14+ years total) as a System Administrator, Desktop Engineer or Platform/Desktop Architect is required.
• MCSE Certification required, and if not already held:
o Ability to obtain MCSE: Enterprise Devices and Apps certification within 6 months.
o Ability to obtain MCSE: Server Infrastructure within 1.5 years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proficient in server and desktop design and implementation using Microsoft Operating Systems
• Provide leadership for the planning, design, and transition of the end device environment including but not limited to; maintaining the device images, Early Life Support, providing Level 3 care to Technology Support Services Technicians, Application Deployment and Continual Process Improvement
• Packaging applications for deployment through the best available method to meet end user needs.
• Assist and advise in development and setting up of long-range plans and goals for the server and end user device environment as well as evaluating new technologies for usefulness within the business.
• Architect new enterprise wide solutions. Involvement with these initiatives will include high level server and end user device issue resolution. Understand end user device solutions holistically and be able to work cross-functionally to lead end user device solution initiatives.
• Advanced experience creating and troubleshooting desktop security and configuration management through Group Policy Objects (GPO), Local Policy Objects (LPO), and login scripts. (be cautious this is not a major focus - may want to clarify this role is for tactical problem management / RCA)
• Experience in creating and maintaining best practices for Desktop management including software procurement, software deployment, inventory management, compliance reporting, license auditing, image creation and deployment.
• Expertise in operating system migration planning, design, and implementation.
• Expertise using enterprise technologies such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS), Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and Remote Desktop Services (RDS) among others
• Extensive scripting experience utilizing a variety of languages such as VB Script, PowerShell or other scripting languages or tools.
• Ability to bring innovation to forecasting long-term solutions, beyond current issues.
• Ability to assess and understand the impact of technical decisions, and architectural changes.
• Ability to abstract key information to empower good decision making by both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Ability to convey complex technical concepts in lay terms.
• Ability to think, plan, and act at the enterprise level, without being constrained by a short-term, localized point of view.
• Ability to develop plans for implementation of large and complex projects.
• Ability to communicate with, teach, collaborate with, and train others, including system administrators, information security analysts, and technical support staff, on technical decisions, implementations, projects, and roadmaps.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a professional business manner and ability to interact with varied audiences.
• The ability to provide effective training for other members of the IS team.
• Works in a normal office environment, requiring the ability to frequently respond to unpredictable situations.
• Works in wiring closets and utility spaces that may be warmer and/or have a higher ambient noise level than other areas, but not at such a level as to require protective clothing or equipment.
• Must be able to work and think independently.
• Occasional long and irregular hours
• Must be willing to travel by air and ground.
• Tolerance for frequent interruptions.
• Must be able to speak and communicate clearly and effectively.
• Must be able to hear speech.
• Must be able to adapt to frequently changing work priorities.
• Must be able to travel to various EMHS sites.
• Participate in periodic on-call rotation.
• This position may be eligible for situational offsite work.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.